Home Decor Trends to Expect in 2019
Whether you’re redecorating or just want to stay with the times, check out our forecast for the top home decor trends in 2019. Expect to see a shift toward more sustainably sourced materials and a preference for rich, jewel-toned colors. Get ahead of the curve with the 2019 home decor forecast.
Matte Black Furniture & Decor
1. Hanging Planter / 2. Dining Chair / 3. Sofa / 4. Square Clock / 5. Table Lamp / 6. Woven Basket / 7. Table Lamp With Metallic Accents / 8. Dresser
Sleek, mysterious, and bold, matte black is the daring neutral color you didn’t know you needed. The matte finish brings this shade down to earth, creating a more approachable hue. It can be dressed up as an elegant finish or down for a chalkboard, farmhouse feel. In 2019, expect to see matte black in chairs, tables, cabinets, and more. Though it may sound extreme to paint a wall black in your home, it’s easy to find inspiration. When paired with plenty of natural light and pops of color, a matte black wall can make large rooms feel cozier. Whether pairing matte black and bold white or mixing this trend into your bedroom or dining room decor, matte black is a trend to keep your eye on this year.
1. Blue Seascape Canvas / 2. Burgundy Chaise Lounge / 3. Blue Arm Chair / 4. Ceramic Vase / 5. Blue Oriental Area Rug / 6. Metal Table / 7. Purple Pillows
Light, airy colors like Millennial Pink have been all the rage in the last few years. However, that may change soon. Both Pantone and Sherwin-Williams have predicted collections featuring rich, moody colors that will surely dominate the design world in 2019. Expect to see deep jewel tones like deep teal, berry pink, and mushroom brown in everything from paint to furniture. It takes a little planning to pull off such bold colors in one space, but it adds an air of elegance to any room when executed properly.
1. World’s Divided Framed Print / 2. Canister Set / 3. Table Lamp / 4. Flower Pot / 5. Nesting Tables
Elegant, smooth, and classic, marble is having a renaissance in 2019. Either as a pattern or material, expect to see marble everywhere this year. From countertops and tables to marble-patterned lamps and wallpaper, marble in all different shades is the perfect way to add texture to minimal spaces. The material is a straightforward way to elevate a room without feeling overdone.
Global Beach Decor
1. Mosaic Vase / 2. Vintage Persian Rug / 3. Beige Sofa / 4. Woven Baskets / 5. Motif Chandelier / 6. Decorative Plate / 7. Terracota Pots / 8. Greek Key Pillows
Inspired by the style and beauty of countries like Morocco, Greece, and Spain, this style mashup is fresh, breezy, and earthy. Global beach home decor uses functional pieces like wicker baskets and terra cotta earthenware to create a fun, laid back space. Add some complexity to the room with mosaics and intricate Persian rugs. A plush white couch or side table mimics the look of the famous Greek villas while ornate Moroccan pendant lighting creates an air of exotic mystery in any room. Consider this look for any area of your home with tile such as the bathroom or kitchen for a true global feel.
1. Crystal Chandelier / 2. Black and Silver Rug / 3. Dining Table / 4. Industrial Dining Chair / 5. Connected Pillar Candle Holders / 6. ‘Great Blue Heron’ Canvas
2019 is bound to be a year of broken conventions, so don’t be afraid to blend eras, mashup styles, and combine looks. For example, pair a sleek mid-century coffee table with a traditional crystal chandelier or ornate Persian rug. Blending the best of every era leaves you with a unique, timeless look. Mix Classical art with more modern pieces on your gallery walls or play with colors, finishes, and patterns on your shelves and with throw pillows. Old and new, glamorous and rustic, 2019 is all about blending styles and attitudes.
1. Wall Sculpture / 2. Accent Table / 3. Hammered Silver Drink Pitcher / 4. Throw Pillow / 5. Table Lamp / 6. Insects Wall Sculpture / 7. Wood Dresser
Rose gold had its time in 2017, 2018 mixed its metals, in 2019 it’s time to lighten things up with chic textured metals like silver and nickel. Look for pendant lighting with a dash of silver or hammered metal to add personality to any room. Pendant lighting, mirrors, and other accents in light metallic shades brighten and balance a room without feeling overstated. Who said silver had to be in second place?
1. Mid-Century Modern Dining Chair / 2. Black Curved Accent Chair / 3. Velvet Loveseat / 4. Round Mirror / 5. Candelabra Chandelier / 6. Wood Accent Table
In 2018, velvet was the biggest thing in furniture and home decor. In 2019, it’s all about showing some curves. Curvy couches, shapely chandeliers, and soft angles on hard surfaces like tables and dressers will be everywhere in 2019. You’ll notice items like round or curvy mirrors that soften the look of a room almost instantly. Many of these pieces are reminiscent of Mid-Century or Art Deco styles, aesthetics you’ll likely see more of throughout 2019.
1. Blue and White Cylindrical Vases / 2. Striped Linen Chair / 3. Embroidered Oblong Pillow / 4. Retro Wave Runner / 5. Persimmon Chinoiserie Pillow / 6. Gray Throw Blanket
With maximalist decor styles like modern global on the rise, bold pattern play is going to have its heyday in 2019. Patterns from around the globe will make appearances in draperies, pillows, wallpaper, and other accents. It may feel intimidating crossing so many patterns and colors, but 2019 is the year to go bold. Mixing patterns like African Wax prints and Southwestern tapestries is a fun way to create a focal point around a certain part of the room. In 2019, consider adding strong geometric tribal patterns or soft, detailed chinoiserie in accent pieces, wall art, rugs, and furniture.
1. Geometric Pillow / 2. Morrocan Shag Rug / 3. Cage Pendant Lamp / 4. Antique End Table / 5. Abstract Wall Sculpture
Strong geometric lines have been popular for several years and you’ll continue to see them throughout 2019. From crisp hexagonal mirrors to strong statement sconces, home accents and decor with geometric lines can easily take on a minimalist feel. Strong lines bring structure to a room, especially when made of metal. Expect to see chic geometric tables, lamps, and furniture dominate the market in 2019. The biggest difference is 2019 will see black and iron metal pieces rather than the brass and rose gold hues of years past.
1. Gold Wall Mirror / 2. Polycarbonate Dining Chairs / 3. Accent Table / 4. Wood and Acrylic TV Stand / 5. Tray Table
Light, airy, and oh so functional, acrylic is an excellent material for furniture if you’re looking to lighten up your space in 2019. You can find pieces lined with faux fur or gold to add a little glam to your space or use plain acrylic that literally blends in with any room. Acrylic tables, benches, and chairs are a good match for small spaces. They’re easy to move, clean, and highlight other pieces in the room without taking up too much visual real estate.